Tuesday, May 23, 2006

guilty pleasures

Having recently moved to a very small city in Maine, affectionately known as "Disgusta" by some, I've developed some unhealthy addictions. Guilty Pleasures. Blame it on the lack of culture or things to do, but here in our little central Maine bubble, I've been sucker punched by the lure of Fox TV and the tabloids. They are, in no particular order:

1. people.com - This is bad. Like three times a day bad. My mouth starts salivating at the latest brangelina photos. I even had a dream last night where I was clothes shopping with Ange and talking about the sad state of affairs of the paparazzi hungry public. Pretending to have no idea of their latest exploits in Namibia! Who knows where we were shopping...its a dream, damn it! Maybe our dreams coverged in west Hollywood somewhere.

2. American Idol - I'm still trying to figure out how this happened. I mean, I consider myself a sort of hippie at heart, and here I am obsessed over Idol. Chatting up my co-workers on Wednesday mornings about Katherine McPhee's rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". If Taylor Hicks wins, I'm going to slit my wrists. I'm not immune to his charms, his southern drawl, his soulful songs, his deep love of grits, but I think his so-called dance moves and that wierd palsy contortion he makes when the camera pans to him and hes about to perform is justification enough for elimination.

3. Eavesdropping/spying - I really have no control over this. My sad neighbors scream and yell A LOT. They are big people with tiny dogs. I can't help but be privy to their comings and goings and their arguments. A classic moment was when friends of ours spent the weekend and heard the dad yelling at his daughter, "Take my pants off." When someone delivers a line like that, you just got to peer through the mini-blinds and take a look.

Now that spring is here and the windows are open, moving seems like a really good idea. In the mean time, I will get away every chance I get. The beauty of Maine is just beginning, enough to lure me away from my guilty pleasures.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chrissa said...

Juanita! Take my pants off!

Oh the memories. I just read another friend's musings on "how the internet ruined my life." I relate to this, deeply. How much time has gone into blog reading and email writing today alone, time we will never get back. I must hurry outside before the sun goes down ...

2:13 PM  
Blogger Daniel Jalkut said...

Umm... hate to be a pedant, but I believe the correct phrase was "Take my god damned pants off."

Yay for the new blog!

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home